Chocolate “Superfood” Frosting Recipe:
* As always, quality counts, so ingredients that are organic, grass-fed, pasture-raised, etc. are always best if you can afford them! *
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (find good-quality cocoa powder here)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or softened butter) (find quality coconut oil here)
- 1 Tbs pure maple syrup (or raw honey)
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract (find pure organic vanilla here)
- pinch sea salt (find real salt here)
* Note: Depending on the weather, you might have to add a bit more cocoa powder if your coconut oil had melted or you might have to use a bit less if it’s wintertime and your coconut oil is rock solid.
Directions: Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and enjoy!
I like to mix and match this recipe depending on what I’m in the mood for and what ingredients I have on hand. I might use coconut oil and raw honey one night and butter and maple syrup on another. All variations are delicious!
This recipe makes about 1/2 cup worth of frosting. I usually just have a spoonful now and then as a dessert, but you could easily double or triple the recipe if you wanted to use it to frost a cake or cupcakes.
Because this frosting is so rich, though, just a spoonful or two is enough to be completely satisfying even without the cake. (And I love my cake, so I don’t make that statement lightly! )
If you’re a dark chocolate lover like me, this decadent frosting is the perfect “superfood” for times when you want an indulgent dessert.